Chances are you’ve enjoyed a good head rub at the salon or as part of a full body massage. You may have liked the sensation but not realized just how simple and effective a scalp massage can be in treating a number of common ailments. The best part? If you have two hands, a good scalp rub and all the benefits that come with it is always within arm’s reach.
Encourages hair growth
Rubbing your scalp increases circulation, which can stimulate hair follicles and boost new hair growth.
Relieves muscle tension
All massages relieve muscle tension and a scalp massage is no exception. But the benefits are specific: reduced muscle tension in the head and neck area can actually relieve headaches, even migraines, fans say. Relaxing muscles around the head can also encourage facial muscles to release, thereby reducing the appearance of wrinkles.
Studies have shown that scalp massage can improve your mood by increasing certain hormones (serotonin, dopamine) and lowering others (cortisol, the stress hormone). By boosting feel-good hormones and diminishing stress-y ones, you will probably notice an immediate shift in overall wellbeing and emotional contentment.
How to give yourself a scalp massage
- To begin, use a high-quality oil to lubricate the massage and nourish hair strands from the root. We recommend T’zikal’s Shine Rich Dry Oil Mist. Bonus? This light, luxurious mist blended with hibiscus and coconut builds and boosts shine, as it helps control frizz and smooth flyaways.
- Place your fingertips together along the midline of your forehead with thumb tips at the temple area. Apply comfortable but firm pressure and begin to knead lightly.
- As you knead, start sliding the fingertips toward the hairline, continuing to apply firm pressure.
- Continue to massage straight back getting into all of your skull’s natural bumps and ridges, following the midline of your scalp, your thumbs will knead along the side of your scalp.
- Continue kneading with this hand pattern down the back of your scalp, slide your thumbs down to the base of your skull and massage well in the notch at the top of your neck.
- Slide your hands further down your neck and massage the back of the neck and top of the shoulders.
- Relax your arms and take 3 deep breaths, eyes closed, shoulders relaxed, to absorb the benefits of your scalp massage.
To enhance the therapeutic benefits of the massage, follow up with a warm shower using luxurious, all-natural hair products like T’zikal’s Deep Hydrating Shampoo and Moisturizing Conditioning Cream. The proprietary fragrance blend will further invite relaxation and a calm sense of wellbeing.
Shop the collection here: T'zikal Collection