I am always getting compliments on my hair & I am not too humble to say this because I put a lot of time and effort into my hair! My haircare routine is a bit complicated because the two things I want to achieve with my hair, really don’t go together.
I love big, bouncy and voluminous hair. In order to achieve that it’s best to stay away from moisturizing products that can tend to way your hair down so I tend to use clarifying Shampoo and double wash. This gets rid of all the oils in my hair and gives it the maximum volume.
I also love shiny, luscious and touchable hair. For hair like this you need moisturizing conditioners and masks. I also have minimally color treated hair (highlights) and blow dry my hair every time I wash it, so to avoid damaging it, I have to heavily moisturize.
Do you see my issue? If you don’t, I will tell you. Both parts of my routine can completely cancel each other out! Luckily, I have found a few tricks to “have it all”. Yes, you can have big, voluminous hair that is soft and smooth to the touch.
My technique is quite simple. I use Shampoos that are for volume, which typically strip your hair of all your oils. Then, I use hair masks or deep conditioning products on the bottom 2/3’s of my hair. So I get volume on the top and touchable softness on the bottom!
I am currently using the following products
- Kenra Volumizing Shampoo- This is my absolute favorite shampoo of all time! I’ve been using it for years. It smells like peaches and has such a good lather (due to sulfates, which is actually quite harmful to your hair).
- Big Sexy Hair Volumizing Shampoo- If you have less healthy hair or color treated hair, then this is your best bet because it doesn’t contain any sulfates. I like this shampoo as well but I really like a lather. Sulfates are what make your shampoo lather.
- Oribe The Cleanse Clarifying Shampoo- This shampoo is weird because it sprays out like a mousse but, it definitely is clarifying. So clarifying that I tend to use this only twice a month, when I really feel like I have lots of gunk in my hair that needs to be gone. It does have that signature Oribe smell though, which is absolutely delicious!
- T’zikal Deep Hydrating Shampoo- For days that I feel like my hair is dry, brittle or has been through the “ringer”, I use this. It won’t give me volume, but it does smooth my hair and make it shiny, tangle free and smooth.
- Macadamia Oil Nourishing Moisture Mask- My all time favorite conditioner has to be from Macadamia Oil. I love conditioners infused with natural oils. This conditioner is actually more like a mask. It smells so good (fruity) and leaves my hair silky smooth.
- Oribe Glaze For Beautiful Color- This is more of a shine/glaze treatment but works as a conditioner at the same time. I only use this twice a month to amp up the shine in my hair.
- Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Mask- Another mask. I’m obsessed with hair masks. It smells so good (that Oribe signature scent that we all love) and really does wonders for my hair.
- T’zikal Deep Moisturizing Conditioning Cream- This is not a mask, but a normal conditioner. It’s great for when you just need moisture but not too much. This conditioner wont weigh your hair down at all! Plus it’s infused with natural oils, which as I previously mentioned, is so good for your hair!
- T’zikal Curl Defining Hair Serum- This is the creme de la creme when it comes to hair masks. It will drench your hair with moisture. But, be careful not to use to much! If you do, your hair can come out looking dirtier than it went in. Just use a dime size amount and leave in for 5 minutes or less and you’ll come out looking like a Pantene commercial.
- Sachjuan Color Save- I only use this when I just got my hair colored, been in the sun too long or see my hair color is looking a little dull. It revives it and makes your hair color bright and shiny again.
Oribe can be purchased at Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman, Space.NK & Fine Salons
Sachjuan can be purchased at Nordstrom and Fine Salons
Macadamia Oil, Kenra and Big Sexy Hair can be purchased at Ulta and Fine Salons
What’s your favorite brand when it comes to hair care?
Disclaimer- Macadmia Oil Products & T’zikal Products were sent to me for my consideration. My thoughts on the products are more than 100% authentic.